Jon Pardi fans have reason to rejoice—the California native released a surprise cover album, Rancho Fiesta Sessions, on Aug. 14.
The eight-song offering was recorded live in one night with Jon’s touring band at his home base in Nashville.
“I nicknamed my place out here [in Nashville] Rancho Fiesta because it was fun and sounded uplifting,” says Jon. “We recorded this at the shop out here and I thought it made sense to reference where the project was recorded.”
The new album, which Jon produced, features tunes made popular by George Strait, Merle Haggard, Joe Diffie, Dwight Yoakam and more.
“All these covers are of artists that I admire, and I look up to,” says Jon. “There are all kinds of great names and styles of songs on here—from legends. I think the magic and the fun of it is all is in these eight covers of songs that I really like, or grew up singing. It’s all my band on this whole album. We mainly did it to have fun and record, and it sounds like we’re in your backyard, playing for you. I hope the fans really have fun when they listen to it, and they enjoy it and turn it up. This one was for the fans, to let them hear something different… songs you may have heard before but, haven’t heard them like this. It turned into something special because it’s a year where we are off the road, and we recorded it live in real time, out at my house.”
Rancho Fiesta Sessions Track List
- “The Bottle Let Me Down” – as performed by Merle Haggard
- “Honky Tonk Man” – as performed by Dwight Yoakam
- “Right or Wrong” – as performed by George Strait
- “Marina Del Rey” – as performed by George Strait
- “Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die)” – as performed by Joe Diffie
- “Somebody’s Doin’ Me Right” – As performed by Keith Whitley
- “The Waiting” – As performed by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- “Nothing Compares 2 U” – As performed by Prince
Listen to Jon sing “Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die).”
photo by Tammie Arroyo, AFF-USA.com